XEL International Education

FAQs: Studying in Australia

We answer your questions.

Am I eligible to study in Australia?

There are a number of requirements you need to meet for you to be accepted to study in Australia. These include academic requirements and immigration requirements.

Academic requirements

There are a range of course entry requirements you may have to meet. Some universities may require you to have passed certain subjects or to have a completed a foundation course before you can be accepted for the course. For example some courses require a pass in mathematics or sciences. Some may offer you to start with an access course if you do not meet the entry requirements. Most universities require an English proficiency: IELTS score of 6.5 or above. Please take time to read the course information on the websites carefully.

Immigration/Visa requirements.

Before you can be issued a visa to enter, stay and study in Australia, the Department of Immigration and Border protection (DIBP) requires you to have the following mandatory requirements:

  1. Proof of funding that demonstrates an annual income of $60,000AUD ($41 000USD).
  2. Confirmation of enrolment (COE) or offer letter from the university
  3. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
  4. English proficiency: IELTS score of 6.5 or above
  5. Health requirement: Overseas Student Health Cover
  6. Health Requirement: Certification of good health Medical Tests if your chosen course is medical
  7. Character requirement: Character Reference, Criminal Records (police)check, Character Statutory Declaration Form

XEL counsellors are here to support you with guidance on the courses and visa requirements.

How much will it cost to study abroad?

Perhaps the most important prerequisite that you must  self assess is proof of funding.  You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees, travel and living costs.  There are 2 options that you can use to demonstrate proof of funding i.e. Annual income option or 12 months option.


Annual income option:

    • Provide evidence that demonstrates that you have an annual income of $60,000AUD ($41 000USD). If you are being sponsored by your parent (s) or relative, they have an annual income of $60,000AUD ($41 000USD). Their salaries can be  combined to meet this figure.


12 months of funds option:

    • Provide evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
    • If you are coming to Australia for a short course, you will only need to show evidence of funds for the intended period of stay.


As an international student, you are allowed a certain number of restricted hours to work part-time to supplement your income alongside your studies. It is very important that you do not exceed the recommended time to comply with your visa conditions.

What should I consider when choosing the course and study provider?

  • The course you chose to study must match your career ambition in life.
  • Decide on the professional title you would like to be known as in the future then research information on courses or specific subjects that you need to study in order to qualify.
  • When deciding which university to chose, consider the university’s ranking against others offering the same course.
  •  Take some time to research extra benefits that the university offers compared to others e.g. internships or work placements.
  • If your course is long term, consider whether you would like to study in a bustling cosmopolitan city, or a quiet country town.
  •  Consider the location, culture mix and in terms of accommodation, would you want to live on campus?
  • Your XEL counsellor will assist you with helpful information so that you can make informed choices.

Will studying in Australia help me find a good job? Will my Australian qualification be accepted in my home country?

  • Australian universities have some of the top rankings in the world.Australia boasts competitively high quality education which is transferrable in many countries worldwide. There are some countries that may require specific qualifications for example law.It is very important that you do some research with the relevant registration bodies in your home country for advice.